Mike,

Welcome to OCF -- it sounds like you're in good hands with the people at Johns Hopkins. I wanted to respond to your concern about being around to see your son grow up. I was diagnosed with Stage II SCC of the left tongue when I was 39 (and I've always been a non-smoker as well). Soon after I had surgery, my brother-in-law and his wife had their first child, and they named me as his godmother, I think in an effort to show their faith that I would be around long enough to actually serve in that capacity. I'm thankful that I've had many opportunities over the years since then to watch him grow, and last fall I helped take him on tours of college campuses as he is getting ready to finish up his high school years. The time has really flown by.

Take things one day at a time, and probably before you know it you'll be faced with those pesky college tuition bills!!

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989