Dizz and Nels,

Your positive outlooks and shared experiences are so appreciated.
I have moved forward, well not too quickly, my surgeon who I have been followed by for the past 9 years and who is to do my surgery, threw his back out. Ugh! I want him to do the surgery, he knows me and I know him well. He has also said he wants to do my surgery so I am willing to hold on.
I found out via biopsy, CT, and exam that the cancer on my tongue is at a stage I and the hopes for the surgery is that it does not show anything that is more concerning. I understand the CT is not very good at picking up the depth of the tongue or even a good view since I have metal (fillings) in my mouth. It gets in the way. Another good reason to take care of your teeth.
There is conversation about the nodes because again they are not as visible since I have a thinner neck. Apparently they are also difficult to see on the scan.
So, I know more but a bit muddled. My surgery is set for Thursday, October 22. It may get moved up but not unless my doctor's back situation is remedied and I have to do the 2 Covid tests and pre-admission assortment of requirements.
I am a Kindergarten teacher so this is a huge part of my anxiety. I am teaching virtually currently and preparing for my leave. I know things could be very different after my recovery, they may be back in the classroom.
My hopes that out of all the negatives I can experience the positives you have both shared here is this blog. I have every hope that I will be able to negotiate the surgery and recovery with success. I very much appreciate your willingness to share and support me.
Feel free to share specifics about your surgery and after care, recovery. I am hopeful it will give me strength and knowledge to go into this a stronger patient.
Be Well,
NonaChris

63 years old
Nona to Alora, Emery, Ilyana, Harper, Nolan, & Rory. Yogini since 2012. Namaste.

Diagnosed 10/5/20 Oral Cancer/ RT side of tongue SCC Stage I Partial Glossectomy 10/23/20 Right Neck Dissection 12/4/20 Clear Nodes
BOT SCC 1/18/11 Stage IV N3 M0 HPV+ Port2/18/11
Treatment start 2/22
CISplatin 2rnds, Rads:35 treatments
July 12 doctors' deemed me cancer free-port out July 18.
Non-smoker, was a light-drinker No drinking since diagnosis