Hi NonaChris,

This must be incredibly scary. Especially as you know what to expect if it is cancer. You know it could be a million and one things other than cancer, but it doesn't stop you worrying. Covid doesn't help either. However you know what to do to keep yourself as safe as possible. As do the hospital team.

I had stage IV N2 SCC tongue cancer last year, and I had a total glossectomy, 33 radiotherapy, 2 cisplatin and 13 pembrolizumab (immunotherapy) The surgery is the easiest part. Learning to speak takes time, but it can be done with patience, time and practise. Learning to eat is a lot longer to do and is definitely the path that leads to tears, frustration, anger and thoughts of "I'll never eat again" or "What's the point". However, 1 year on and I'm starting to eat real solid food. Sausages, steak, breaded chicken, tomato, cucumber, cheese etc are all what I have recently added to my diet that have not been made into soup or a sauce. You do drink an awful lot of water with your food, but on the plus side, it helps your kidneys.

As for support, physical support may be tougher, but virtual support is most definitely easy to do. You have so many avenues for people to keep in contact with you if you do have to stay. We're here for you too.

Let's see what your appointment comes out as, first of all, before planning hospital conversations.

F 39 x-smoker no alcohol
05/20/19 T4aN1/N2bM0 SCC a whopper of a tumour at 8cm long & 4cm wide
Pembro pre & post surgery
RIG
Glossectomy ND RFFR 08/13/19
RT x33
2x cispltin
So far, no evidence of disease
Now an author of a recipe book for mouth cancer patients