As you have found out the hard way, Dr Google is NOT a good source for info! I always advise members to avoid using that. I tell people that if you put in enough info, even an 80 year old man will come up as being pregnant with twins. Of course Im joking!!! I just hate seeing patients and caregivers who already have enough on their shoulders learning from any number of unreliable sources. OCF is one of the few sites certified by Health on the Net to always provide up to date, correct medical advice.

The patients mental health plays a big role in how well they do with surgery and recovery. Im so very sorry your father is upset and talking about suicide! That must be very sad and scary at the same time. If your father is a danger to himself, thats way more than almost all caregivers are able to manage. If you have not notified all of your fathers cancer doctors about this, do so right away. They need to know about your fathers current state of mind and the change in his anxiety meds. Some of those type medicines take weeks until they are completely effective. Your father isnt on something like that, his is a more of a sporadic type of medicine. Sounds to me like your father would benefit from something taken daily even though most of those meds need a few weeks before it kicks in. Tomorrow morning start calling your fathers doctors.

Hang in there!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy