Yes, patients will be able to walk after surgery. From what Ive heard from patients who have had this surgery, the leg is painful. They need some PT and a walker then a cane to help make walking easier. Once the leg heals most patients will be back to almost all of their original functionality. Ive seen many who have a very slight limp afterwards. In the whole scheme of things a slight limp is not anything too serious, at least I dont think it is.

My speech was not affected by this surgery. There was significant swelling due to the complications I went thru... MOST patients do NOT have complications... Im just one of those lucky kinds of people who did. Since your fathers doc thinks your fathers tongue was not affected then he should be ok with his speech. Every case is different and will have their own things that bother the patient. If your fathers case isnt that invasive, he may not need a trach and feeding tube. Or if he would need them, it could be for a very short time possibly only necessary while hes in the hospital. Patients who need a trach should ask specifically for a Passey Muir trach so the patient is able to talk easier with having it. Make sure to mention this to the surgeon even if the doc says a trach isnt going to be used. You just never know until the doc actually gets in there and starts removing the cancer. Better to mention it and its not used than to have the regular trach given.

Hang in there and when you feel weak its ok to lean on us. We've gone thru this before and understand just how difficult it can be for everyone, not just for the patient.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma