Hi,

I had a segmental mandibulectomy with a fibular free flap for osteoradionecrosis, which is pretty much the same surgery as if there was cancer, some cases the cancer is more involved. I was in “step down” for six days, minus one day in recovery. I was taken out of the bed around the 3rd day, actually sat up in a chair. At some point, they have you stand with the boot on, but I don’t recall walking as it was difficult. With this surgery, you have a support boot on due to part of the fibula being removed, while it heals, but reality it has little support for weight bearing. When I left the hospital on the 7th day, most go home, so i was told, but I went into rehab nursing for several months mostly due to prior treatments, and difficulty walking Also at this time, the trach, which is usually removed at your departure, was, but my stoma didn’t fully close due to prior radiation, and took a month to do so, so everytime I spoke the stoma needed to be closed off with gauze.

For the fibula, a thigh graft was placed on the lower leg for closure, but the lower leg did not fullly heal, and required a graft from tge groin, three months later, and finally healed.

The nerve for the mouth was cut, so if there is no graft, if it can be done, will effect the lip. Today, I have no more trouble with my legs than I did before this surgery.

I hope this helps

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI