Hello JPT. I can relate to your story. First of all the waiting. It is very hard and all you can do is try to do things that you enjoy and that will take your mind off the possibilities.

I had two lymph nodes light up on a scan before last year's surgery. No cancer was present. I also know what you mean about second opinions on pathology results. Not for oral cancer but the ovarian cancer I had 20 years ago, it was only a retesting of the tissue that resulted in an accurate diagnosis. The second opinion doctor asked "his" pathologist to look at it again. This was my good luck. I don't think it is standard practice.

Waiting for test results ...hmmm. It's crazy but I've found that treating myself works. Shopping even. Really nice food. Learning something new. Writing down your feelings. If you have to wait a while after the biopsy, you might have time to see a counsellor.

Best wishes.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.