Hi, Carol
be sure to ask about thrush at the next appointment - if that is in the mix it will add the the misery - but it can be successfully treated.
I think that some of the misery after treatment is due the loss of an active lifestyle. We walked our old dog nearly every morning - and I think that little touch of normal activity helped him mentally and physically. Maybe a little walk up and down the block would help - we should be have nice weather next week.
Is your husband a football fan? Not sure if you're in Browns territory or not, but it should be an interesting game with the Steelers tomorrow. Maybe next week he would be up for watching a game with friends or family.
One other suggestion. My husband found that it was easier for him to swallow when he was standing. He would drink his Ensures or protein shakes standing at the sink so if he coughed it wouldn't be a mess. I would leave the room until he was done, because it upset me and that upset him.
Everyone is different - we all evolve coping strategies. There will be a light at the end of the tunnel (and not a train!).
Best wishes,
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.