My husband is 3 weeks out of treatment as of yesterday. He is getting nowhere. Still taking all nutrition and water through PEG. He is still hacking up copious amounts of thick mucous and his throat has actually gotten more sore in the last few days. Now, he is only taking oxycodone before bed to help with sleep. So, I'm thinking that he should still be on pain meds for the sore throat? I tried to push him this morning to try drinking some warm herbal tea to kind of get the goo to slide down the throat. I just keep thinking that he needs to get some of that mucous that is clinging to his throat to move. I'm at a loss as to how I can help him. He is so depressed and didn't react well to my prodding this morning. He insisted that he would choke and that his throat feels too tight and swollen and thick to get anything down there. Should I back off? I am trying to be sensitive to him and at the same time, push him a little to try the next step. Am I wrong? Since you all have gone through this, I am relying on your advice and feedback. I'm trying so hard to get this right. I just want to cry but I maintain a calm front because he certainly doesn't need me being emotional. Ugh. I have been reading and trying to see if he's behind in recovery. I know everyone is different. Please help me out here, Guys. We have an appt. with his RO next Thurs. I'm hoping that he makes a little progress before that visit.

Trying to help my guy,

Carol

Carol
Husband diagnosed SCC BoT 4a-June 4, 2014
Mets bilateral lymph nodes
HPV positive
Tx started June 23, 2014
Blood clot in cephalic vein of right arm after first chemo
2x Cisplatin (hopefully getting in 3rd)
35 IMRT (hopefully complete on Aug. 12)
third Cisplatin cancelled
Last day of treatment Aug. 12, 2014
PET scan Nov. 10-NED (some PT inflammation)