J I had a sore throat that persisted for a few weeks, and a lump in my neck. The lump got quite large (36mm), but because it was soft and deep in the neck it was not obvious. I knew something wasn't quite right but I wasn't feeling sick enough to go to a doctor. I went to the GP for a checkup and mentioned it. He noted an "asymmetry" in the throat where the tonsils used to be, as well as the lump in the neck. A CT, FNA, MRI, bone scan and PET CT later and I was thoroughly diagnosed and sent on the treatment roller coaster.

I am sure there is more to the ENTs discounting cancer than just your age. This type of cancer is pretty well understood, and has particular behaviours in how it grows and spreads. Also in younger people I think it would progress fairly quickly, being fed by an active metabolism. Again I am no expert, but I think if you had what I have for the 5 months you have had symptoms, it would have grown to an undeniable stage in you by now, and it hasn't. Perhaps the ENTs just need to explain the reasons they are discounting it better?

You can take some solace that whatever the cause of your current symptoms, you'll be under medical supervision while that is under treatment. Doctors will be feeling your neck for bumps and looking down your throat regularly and will be able to identify any changes.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.