PatsyJo, welcome to the site. Sorry you needed to find us. I have heard of Proton radiation but I don't know anything about it. One of the more senior members on this board knows about it. In fact, you can do a search on the main menu and get the information previously posted.

Also, one of the guys that has been around the block, sorry I don't remember who, has HEP C as well and went through the entire rad/chemo thing and did quite well. You might want to do a search on that as well.

How many teeth are the dentists recommending to be pulled? I had two pulled and a lot of folks think no teeth should be pulled. Are you being treated at a major comprehensive cancer center now? If not, go to one the get the best care. This isn't the time to cut corners on the cost.

I presume the treatment protocol is similar to mine in that your husband will have 35 rad and 3 ciplatin chemo treatments every 21 days. If that is the scenario, it worked very effectively for me in shrinking the tumor in my lymph node (it mestasized from the primary in the tonsil) and making the surgery much less invasive. If that is your plan it is a good one and worked well for me.

The peg tube is important in keeping the nutrition up which is critical in fighting this disease. He is now in a war and must use all of the weapons he has to beat the disease. It is very aggressive and unforgiving. Hit it with all of the weapons available including the kitchen sink. Pray all will go well with you both and your family.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.