PatsyJo, I recommend you go to MD Anderson right away. They are one of the best in the world. I traveled to a cancer center here in Miami and the trip was 60 tp 90 minutes one way (depending on traffic). I drove it all 7 weeks of my rad treatment (except for when I had the chemo when I was checked into the hospital). So don't worry about a drive. It is worth it to get the best treatment. Having all of the teeth removed is an extreme position to take. I am not a doctor, but I recommend you do all you can to keep as many teeth as possible.

Each of us react differently to treatment. I had some hearing loss at the top end, others didn't. I didn't know about the risk, so I didn't get a baseline check before I had my treatment. I don't know how much I lost, but I know I lost some because of the constant buzz in my ears. Oh well, a minor issue compared to what the loss might have been.

Dry mouth is probably the most bothersome issue, but it is dealt with by carrying a bottle of water. That is an easy solution. There is also some loss of strength and a little pain from the neck dissection. I am building that up though and hope to fix it totally some day. The pain is minor, but I have a high tolerance to some pain and I don't take any meds (not even Tylenol) anymore. Others have had a lot of pain.

There are many other issues that occur during treatment. You just have to deal with them as they come up as some patients don't react to treatments and others have a high reaction. We'll be here to help as you go through the treatment.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.