PaulB said it all: "Some side effects can last up to two years, more, but are minor inconveniences compared to cancer"

Not much I could add to that.

But here's something I can add, there's a new product that I find works better than any Biotene product for dealing with Dry mouth.

It's a spray that comes in a very small bottle and available only either on-line, or from a dentist. (I dunno why, that's just the way it is.)

it's called CariFree CTx2 spray. It contains Xylitol and also provides pH neutralization of your mouth. The later is important in fighting cavities, and radiation does something that really exacerbates the potential for cavities.

I buy boxes of this from my dentist for $20/4 ea 12/ml bottles and keep one in my car (in the ashtray) and another at my bedside for those times I wake up to go to the bathroom. Each bottle is good for about 200 sprays, and they recommend 2-3 sprays each usage.

Ask your dentist about this,

Here's another tip for those of us who suffer from dry mouth; chew gum that is sweetened with Xylitol. Also, IceBreakers mints are sweetened with xylitol and do the same, but all xylitol mints (there are others) have the draw back that they only work while they are still in your mouth. Very, very short term.

The gum,however, seems to work as long as you have it in your mouth (and are not engaged in any activity that is really strenuous.)

I use Trident "Tropical twist." I buy it in 3-paks at the grocery store. Overall, it works better than any of the products above (IMHO), but the drawback for me is that I often end up biting my cheek. Then I have to fall back on a water bottle or one of the products above.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bart; 08-11-2013 12:37 PM. Reason: speelink

My intro: http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbt...3644#Post163644

09/09 - Dx OC Stg IV
10/09 - Chemo/3 Cisplatin, 40 rad
11/09 - PET CLEAN
07/11 - Dx Stage IV C. (Liver)
06/12 - PET CLEAN
09/12 - PET Dist Met (Liver)
04/13 - PET CLEAN
06/13 - PET Dist Met (Liver + 1 lymph node)
10/13 - PET - Xeloda ineffective
11/13 - Liver packed w/ SIRI-Spheres
02/14 - PET - Siri-Spheres effective, 4cm tumor in lymph-node
03/15 - Begin 15 Rads
03/24 - Final Rad! Woot!
7/27/14 Bart passed away. RIP!