It would help if you could help your sister-in-law put in a routine and make up charts for meds, feeds, etc. I am the only caregiver and even for me, some days just merged into others and I could not remember if I had given him his meds this morning or was it yesterday. Have your sister in law drive your brother around the neighborhood or to the park to sit on a park bench for five, ten minutes each day -- he may be too weak to walk but being out of the house helps lift the spirit. Talk to your brother about taking it one day at a time and not to get ahead of himself -- he will eventually come to realize that it is a new normal and, as for recurrences, don't try to cross that bridge until you get to it. You want him to live in the moment and enjoy every day.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.