Hi Lori,

Yes, time does seem to stand still and there is a lot of waiting when you get a cancer diagnosis, and it really adds to your already high anxiety level.

I also found out I had thyroid nodules shortly after I found out I had OC. Initially my ENT suggested surgery to remove half my thyroid (side with the nodules); however, I had a number of tests conducted, consulted with an endocrinologist and a few other doctors, did not have surgery and it was NOT cancer.

In my case it turned out to be a �fairly common� thyroid condition called Hashimoto�s thyroiditis. It�s been a number of years since this happened, so I don�t recall the exact sequence of events that lead to the diagnosis of Hashimoto�s. The tests I had included fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy, blood tests (TSH and a few others), ultra-sound (to periodically measure the size of the nodules), thyroid uptake scan, in addition to CT, PET and MRI (which were done mainly because of the SCC). To monitor this condition, many of these tests are repeated periodically.

Do some research on thyroid conditions and tests before your next doctor�s appointment. One test that you should have is the TSH blood test. If you end up with radiation therapy, the thyroid is often compromised and many of us need to take daily medication (ex. Synthroid) as a result. Having the TSH now gives you a baseline normal reading for you. Also ask about doing a FNA biopsy of the nodules to determine if it is cancerous or a benign condition.

A good on-line resource I found is the American Thyroid Association.

I know this is a stressful time for you and we are here to help you! Good luck with the tests and keep us posted.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)