Ina - I can so relate to your concerns about the cost of cancer care but Christine is SO right about not putting a price on saving a life! When my son was first diagnosed he was out of a job, in therapy for depression and newly divorced. I thought we would be able to handle all the expenses but when the hospital bills started coming in from several different departments of the hospital, it was overwhelming! The hospital told us we could pay as little as $5 a month but that didn't last long, especially with all the other household expenses. It was a big source of stress for him - he sold everything he had and having to sell his motorcycle was particularly painful. He ended up going bankrupt which knocked the wind out of him more than anything else. It does get better, though. My son has been cancer-free for almost 6 years, now. He has a great job, a beautiful significant other to share his life with, and not just one but two motorcycles. It is difficult to deal with money problems but it is important to remember: "People before Things". Things can be replaced. People can't.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)