Lea

It's wonderful that your Dad can swallow so soon after his surgery. When I was still recovering from surgery, I was assigned a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) who showed me the teaspoon of water exercise but I was aspirating so we stopped.

My advice would be to ask the doctor for prescription for a modified barium swallow test (MBS). It's jointly administered by a SLP and radiologist. It also has different names: videofluoroscopic swallowing study, or videofluoroscopy; esophagram; or cookie swallow (although it's usually crackers)

Basically he will sit or stand next to an x-ray machine. The SLP will give him different foods and drinks mixed with barium . The barium makes the food and liquid show up on the x-ray. The SLP will ask him to do different things during the test. He may try soft foods and hard foods, and thin liquids and thick liquids. He may take small amounts and large amounts. He may be asked to move his head in different positions. He may also try things like swallowing hard. Ask that the test be recorded so it can be watched again later.

The MBS not only tells you whether there is aspiration but also lets the SLP see what muscles are not working or where the exercises can help most.

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13