It's been just over a month since my dad's surgery and I can say that with each day he's getting stronger and better. We meet the radiologist this week to discuss treatment options. I assume he will be starting radiation in the near future. The Path results came back - out of the 77 lymph nodes removed 3 were affected on the left side. Over 70% of his tongue was removed.
My dad's main source of nutrition comes from his feeding tube (g-tube). However, the past couple of days, he's been having cravings for soup. Initially we didn't think much of it. He's been practicing his swallowing with a teaspoon and water. Some days seem easier than others. But, what surprised us all was that he managed to swallow the soup and finished a bowl of it. The constancy was thin (slightly thicker than broth). I am concerned that there is a possibility there's fluid that leaks into the wind pipe and he�s not feeling it. He didn�t have the need to cough afterwards. I am cautiously happy about this. I was curious if others have had similar experiences - after having a total glosectomy we didn't think he'd be swallowing so soon.

CG - Father, Age 63, Non-Smoker
May 2012 - Diagnosed Stage IV Tongue Cancer (Left Side)
July 2012 - Surgery (Removed: 70% of Tongue & 77 Lymph Nodes - 3 Affected; Flap Reconstructed; G-Tube)
August 2012 - Teeth Removed; MRI Scan: 1 New Affected Lymph Node
Sep-Nov 2012 - 35 x Rad & 2 x Cisplatin Chemo