Your thoughts should be family first ! Especially at this time - it's funny I never told my surgical oncologist I was a nurse (he's a super big wig at the top CCC here) I told the radiation guy - because he was trying to dumb down his explanation to me so I said to him and my surgeons' fellow - I used to b a nurse so I'm familiar with the medical jargon... Just give it to me. Twice my surgeon asked me what I did for a living - and both times I told him I was a tech for the school board and an actor (part time) - and he'd just look at me funny... smile sometimes they find it unnerving or threatening (i had a total arse of a nurse when my mom was dying - the minute his colleagues told him I used to be a nurse his hackles went up - ! And I wasn't even the one who told him - my step dad did as he was very upset they weren't listening to him about the drugs they were giving her. (he was right about the drugs) Or sometimes they think that you think you now it all - when you tell them you are or were a nurse. so even when I was in the hospital post op, none of them knew!

Good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan