Hi yes I have to agree with david - 7 nodes bilaterally makes it more precarious - however his HPV status is very important - since the HPV responds much better to chemo and rads- if he is HPV+ this can make a difference in the type of chemo (recent studies have shown Erbitux is not as affective against HPV + cancers) and the number of nodes involved may have less weight then. It's very hard when the person with cancer doesn't wasn't to know - the dr may not be legally able to discuss with you the details privately as there is a patient confidentiality issue at play - you husband needs to make it clear to the dr. That he is to share all details with you - and then maybe you can have a private sit down. Also a warning flag always pops up when I hear the words surly (especially when a patient is asking questions) you have an absolute right to know and get the answers that are answerable!!! Drs who don't like to be questioned, or get upset when a patient wants a second opinion, or seem dismissive or threatened when a patient has done their homework - in my eyes - are insecure - most good drs - who know their stuff, welcome both questions, and a second opinion. Good luck... This is a sucky thing to happen before Christmas - I had my diagnosis the same time last year... Do push to get things moving ASAP ! And take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan