Don,

I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it my friend, I can relate as recovery was the hardest part of the experience for me.

Pain is the enemy in healing, it puts the body in distress and actually slows the healing process, especially surgical wounds that tend to be deeper tissue. Being in pain also affects us mentally and emotionally which not only slows the healing process but depression actually amplifies pain. The only pain that we "push" through is the kind of pain that we experience when we're exercising, not post surgical pain and neuropathy...we need to change the way you feel about your pain meds and in my opinion not only go to something stronger then just hydrocodone and tylenol, but if the neuropathy (nerve pain) is bad get on an anti-seizure med like Gabapentin (Neurontin) as opiates don't work well with nerve pain, anti-depressants help nerve pain too. You're NOT an addict if you need them.

Now I do agree with Cheryl when she suggests accupuncture and physical therapy(physical therapy only after your Dr says you're ready for it) as they will also help with the pain & fatigue. CRF (cancer related fatigue) is a real condition that many of us face after treatment and it's caused by a myriad of things. Pain, pain meds, post tramatic stress, malnutrition (common after surgery and while on medication due to the lack of desire to eat), anti-depressants, depression, and just healing. Your body is in a hypermetabolic state and burning through calories like crazy due to the healing process so you will experience fatigue, here are some things that can help.

Yoga, accupuncture, exercise, eating right, vitamins & supplements (B6, B12, Niacin(B3), Ginseng, Kola Nut(awesome!), CoQ10 to name but a few) all will help battle the fatigue. Get your thyroid, testosterone and adrenals checked as well as all are fatigue culprits and common post treatment.

I suffered from crippling fatigue post treatment so I can relate, it is treatable but this soon after surgery you should be focused on handling the post op pain and healing, fatigue secondary. Definitely bring your issues to your Dr's attention and get solutions...DON'T be afraid to up your pain meds.

Keep your chin up Don, you can get through this thing buddy. For many of us the hardest part to deal with was the aftermath post treatment which is why the support on these forums is crucial, we are here for you my friend.

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 11-30-2011 08:57 AM. Reason: always spelling

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.