This is cancer you're dealing with - please if at all possible get to a good cancer center. If not at least see the top surgical oncologist at your hospital! The resident may be a big pile of awesomeness, and that's great - she can assist but really as I said - this is cancer not a regular tonsillectomy - have dealt with by someone who is experienced in head and neck cancer and a surgical oncologist. This is the best way to get an optimal outcome! Remove both tonsils if you can - if it was a kidney I would say think twice but you can live without it its not a major organ - get it out. It may never show up there but why give it a chance. PETs are good but they can pick up inflammation, and scar tissues, etc and post op? You may end up with false positives. My cancer hospital doesn't use them. The use CTs and MRIs. post op protocol here is ct prior to radiation. Usually at least a month after surgery to give everything a chance to calm down. I prefer the idea of gettin as much cancer as you can surgically then radiation and chemo after to clean up any left overs. It's not easy but it's good with a stage 2. Good luck! Please remember this is your life you're dealing with. If you have a child who is sick you would want the absute best care! Ask that for yourself! The neck dissection is not too bad but yes they need to be very good for all of that. Take care and good luck! I will sy a prayer for you on the 19th even I your not religious it can't hurt smile

Last edited by Cheryld; 10-07-2011 09:16 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan