Hi Shannon,
So sorry you are here, but like everyone has said, it really is a great support system. There are so many people here that almost every situation is covered!!
We have 3 children ages 14,12 and 10. One thing that I did was take my kids to the clinics for a tour. The Drs, etc were wonderful. They gave the kids information based on their ages to help them understand and also let them ask any questions. Our middle son had many and it was so great to have someone else explain things to him. My husband and I were still kind of in the "deer in the headlights" phase so it was hard to answer their questions. It also helped because when we said "we're going to chemo", they knew where we were. They could picture it. Same when we started radiation. When my husband talked about his mask, they could picture it. That and the table, etc. Really helped give the kids some peace.
Another thing my sister set up was a website with lotsahelpinghands.com. It is a way for friends and neighbors to sign up and bring meals in as often as possible. It was a God send for us as there were days we would be out all day and when we got home we had 3 hungry kids and mom. (My 86 year old mom lives with us too.) The meals being broughtin, can't even explain the weight that took off my shoulders. Well, you're a mom, so, you know. You will be so tired Shannon. This sign up for dinners will bless you.
Be sure to keep in touch on here.
Blessings and peace to you,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14