Be very cautious with weight loss. The doctors have a goal to lose zero pounds during treatments. Its next to impossible to accomplish that goal. Many of us, including myself experienced rapid weight loss which made me feel horrible. I am still thin 4 years later. I have only recently gained a little after losing over 40% of my total starting weight. Nutrition will play a huge role in how you feel and recover. I think the better you do with hydration and nutrition, the easier it will be to get thru this and recover.

As far as your children go, Im glad to see you are taking names and numbers to build yourself a network of support. Your kids will need help and so will you. Not everyone struggles but having 4 little ones is bound to make a difference in your energy level. Try to get one person to agree to stop by your home every day to help with your kids. It will take a huge load off your shoulders. This may sound foolish but I credit my maternal instinct as helping to push me to survive. My kids only have me and they needed their mom. The 3rd time I had cancer I almost refused treatment as I was afraid I wouldnt make it anyway. Somehow I beat my doctors predictions and survived. Its now 2 years later and Im doing very well. So you see, it can be done!!!!

How old are our children? Do you have many relatives to help you?

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma