When Rob was told he was going to die his wishes were to get as far away from his friends and family as he could. He wanted to be alone with me. Reason being he didn't want to see the anguish his dying was causing the people he loved. He accepted his fate and faced it full on but didn't want or need the pressure of coping with other peoples emotions. Of course he didn't get his wish as he deteriorated so quickly buy once in the hospice on good medication he seemed happy to have people visit and his attitude changed . Sometimes I wish my memories were not overshadowed by his last days its not easy to walk the path to deaths door with someone and be left behind as they pass through so perhaps for now give her little space to decide how she wants things to play out.
As for time scales ask a hospice nurse to go through the recognised seven stages of dying with you,it may help you understand better .

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.