Kathie

What a wonderful sister you are. Despite not being able to swallow, Jo is lucky since she has a sister like you. (but let's keep that between you and I).
Now to the "problem": it is a real disaster not to be able to eat or drink permanently. It's not clear that this is Jo's fate, since she can try not only accupuncture but also VitalStim (or one of the other Electrical stimulations).
Before Jo does anything else, she should have her doctor write a prescription for a barium swallow test administered by a qualified speech therapist which is the definitive medical exam to show what is exactly the problem. Lots of cancer patients cannot swallow at first but bounce back.

But it is indeed my karma to be on a feeding tube for life, so I hope what I have learned the hard way may help Jo if she too is consigned to a similar fate. I fought against accepting it for over a year taking VitalStim and swallowing therapy sessions three times a week for a year until I failed the 4th Barium Swallow test . If this is Jo's lot also then:
First, Jo should and must grieve for what is lost
Second, Jo can discover life goes on and is still worth living
In that regard, you can print out the columns by Roger Ebert that were here on on OCF - I've hit the links to make it easy.
Nils by Mouth
and its follow up column
The way to one's heart is thru the stomach
Third; for her birthday, Christmas, whatever, buy Jo a Vitamix. Then she can do a blenderized diet, here's an interesting OCF thread on that
Blenderized diet recipies with a free offer for tube feeders.
I use my Vitamix to "eat" dinner with my wife each night. The exact same meal she cooks with love, I put into the Vitamix and my tube. It's like a cyborg, with the Vitamix as my teeth and the tube as my throat so we can still share the exact same dinner. It really helps me psychologically.
Keep the Faith
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13