Karen,

I think that was true of me before cancer. Certainly hits the nail right on the head as it pertains to my biological dad, he's a workaholic.

I've gotten to the point where I do listen to both my wife and my business partner as they can look at me and tell when I need to stop. Anymore I listen without much pushback because I know they are right. It doesn't mean I like it but I've accepted it.

What we did find out was it wouldn't have made much difference if my work schedule was less before getting this bug. The whole area I live in got hit hard with it and many people were down for a week or so. My boys were...Aly, the machine she is was down a day or so before she was back to normal work days.

Myself, I couldn't eat and therefore had no energy to fight it off. I normally don't have an appetite anyway and have to "motivate" myself to eat, I couldn't do that. When I tried to force Ensure down I asprirated badly (it's hard to swallow anyway and almost impossible with no energy)which was what brought on the pneumonia.

The mistake I did make was when my fever did break for more then a day and I would try to get out and about, mostly because being confined to a bed takes me to a bad place. I would spike a fever shortly afterwards and go done again.

Now the flu has subsided and I'm dealing with the pneumonia. The work hours I was pulling Jan-4/1 were actually less then the hours I pulled May-Dec. I cut about 3 hours out of my typical work day (12-14 hours to 9-11/day).

Your insights though are right on though. There will be a time here shortly when I can and will enjoy my family as we did at one time. In life there are seasons to work and seasons to live and play, it's identifying those seasons that is the hard part.

Thanks for the post Karen and the insight.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.