Gail,
Actually I think you are asking us: can this wait 2 weeks? Probably none of us are qualified to answer that. I can tell you lots of places would make you wait 2 weeks and say it would not matter.

After my primary was excised, and the lymph node surfaced (almost immediately, it seemed), I went to the nearest we had to a ccc; they are applying for NCI status. I had been there before the lymph node, so I already had an "in". They could not do the surgery on the lymph node and a neck dissection for about 4 weeks, and told me it would not matter. They said all their patients had cancer & could not bump anyone in favor of me--I had not asked for that either! So utilizing that time, I got a second opinion, took more than a week to get my first appointment after I got all my records & applications done, and they got me in before that 4 weeks surgery date, although only 4 days, but it meant that I would see one of my sons that way. So the surgery transpired there only a week after I was first seen. They seemed to think it did matter, but maybe I was lucky. So bottom line was I did not get in much earlier at MD Anderson, but it felt like I did!

So you probably at this point could not get in earlier for the surgery too many places, by the time you jumped through hoops. If you trust your doctors, I would think you would have to go with them.
You did not say if you had a lymph node involved. I would think they would discuss having treatment after surgery, or are they also doing a neck dissection when they remove the primary?

Best of luck and hope this helps!
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021