I also heard that comment (re acquiring from a glass) from a viral researcher at Moffitt who told me that it would be possible for the virus to exist on a recently used glass and I imagined a party atmosphere. As Brian says there is way to little info out there about HPV considering the worldwide population it invades.

After I pushed and pushed to find out what caused my cancer and Moffitt finally (post Tx) sent my slides to Johns Hopkins which confirmed HPV16, my wife & I who were married 18 years at the time were talking to my SO at Moffitt and I was sitting down between the 2 of them and my wife casually asked the Dr "so how do you get the virus?". Innocent enough question, right but I had failed to tell her anything about HPV so the Dr blurts out "IT'S AN STD, IT'S SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED." Well I didn't have to look at my wife to know that after enduring all I went through with my Tx that I was a dead man walking when, as he must have sensed the icy tension that had suddenly come come over the entire hospital, he states "but it can take decades for the virus to cause cancer." PHEW, I WAS ALIVE AGAIN!! Anyway, my point is that some researchers still believe the virus can go dormant in the body for decades. No one knows why it goes dormant or why it comes back out but that MAY explain Bonnie's question.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.