I wouldn't pick an ENT instead of an oral surgeon to do a tooth extraction. Please note that the previous poster said that the surrounding bone was removed with the tooth. Removal of part of the maxilla or mandible IS in the normal realm of surgically trained ENT head and neck surgeons, (not all ENT's) - simple tooth extractions are not. With any luck at all, this tooth can be treated endodonically (root canal) and extraction can be avoided all together. It is wrong to equate a tooth that is going south by itself, with with a situation where the removal of an area of surrounding compromised/unhealthy bone, which within that area has a tooth in trouble. They are apples and oranges. Teeth removed fro health bone are a special situation, they often have curved roots and other issues that require a finesse to remove unlike the removal of a block of surrounding bone with the tooth. Prothodontists rarely do extractions, so that specialty is not in consideration.

Your comment about so many things going wrong. While complication rates are more common in some small regional treatment centers than others, I don't think I have ever spoken with a cancer patient in which 100% of everything happened textbook without some complications. It's part of the process, everyone responds to the treatments prescribed differently, and doctors cannot predict the implications in every person of their treatments.

Low epinephrine anesthesia is only related to the fact that anesthesia can stay a very long time in those of us that have had radiation which destroys some of the micro vascularization that would normal move it out of the regional area. Carbocain with no epi in it is what I get these days, (1/2 to 1 carpule is plenty) I don't need a vasoconstrictor in the anesthesia to keep it around in the treatment area, it says there for way too long already. This is of course is not harmful, but it is a pain to drool, and accidently bite my cheek for the entire day and night before it wears off.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.