Amy,

There are Shands Hospitals in both Gainesville and Jacksonville. My RO's wife, also an RO, is based in Jax. Being able to be treated at Shands is what saved my life. I was referred to the clinical research and teaching teams for head and neck cancer and Medicaid never questioned a single thing - not tests, procedures, costs, nothing. I imagine that the costs billed to them were probably less than they may have been by a private Doc because of the very nature of the department, but I never saw a bill or was asked anything at all about payment. They took care of everything (especially me).

While I was receiving rad & chemo in Gainesville, I stayed free of charge at Hope Lodge, which is run by the American Cancer Society for out-of-towners in treatment. I really had nothing else at all to worry about, leaving me free to focus on fighting and beating this horrible "thing" inside of me - and I had a heck of an army behind me. This is just my opinion, but I would say that if you have the opportunity to go to Shands, take it!

By the way, my #2 son is career Navy and he just got transferred to Pensacola. He'll be there Nov 2nd for the closing of the house he's buying there. I can't wait. This is the closest he's been in the 16 years since he joined.

Take care and be strong. I know you can do it.

Lani

SCC part glossectomy 3/06, recur 8/06 glossectomy, floor of mouth, part of jaw removed, RT/chemo thru 10/12/06, PET clear 7/08
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn"
Passed away 12/14/08