Nelie - I can add my encouragement too. The healing took twice as long as they predicted for me. I am over two years out of tx and still getting little bits and pieces of function back. It seems like it was about 8 or 9 months before all the swelling went down in my mouth and throat. With the whacked lymph nodes not there to help, the swelling is persistent.

My PT had me gently massaging my own throat and neck to help with circulation. As the numbness eased, the massaging felt really good. Just easy, light pressure with the finger tips, in circles was all it took. Also, the swallowing exercises didn't seem to help much at the time I learned them, and it was tough to stay motivated to do them. But, my swallow did improve as the swelling receded. I didn't get all of mine back, but I have enough now to drink down meds with water and sips of a milkshake now and then. And that progress took all of a year. Be really patient with it, and double your time expecations for progress. With some luck you will get a bunch of it back. Don't give up. You can do it. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.