Hi Nelie --

try using your blender -- when Barry's throat is bad (it comes and goes now) I use our blender to "puree" my cream of crab soup and potato soups as both have hard bits or lumps that scratch his throat and make it hard for him to swallow.

I found stringy things (like squash) don't work as well -- potato is good however. I made a great cream of spinach soup -- chicken broth, onions and canned spinach plus light cream -- and pureed the whole thing. It looked great, like for a dinner party (if you like green soup) and tasted great too. Next I am going to try borsch!

Also, Trader Joe's sells great completely pureed soups in boxes -- just pour out what you need -- there's a squash (not stringy), corn, tomato (might be too acid if throat's raw) and also, a portobello mushroom. Not a lot of calories but they go down smooth...

Best,
Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!