Nelie,

I know how frustrated you feel but the swallowing problems you describe sound exactly what I went through this past year. I am one year ahead of you in this deal and it does get better with time. It's just very slow. Believe me, you are on the right track - you just have to keep on and don't give up. There have been so many meals I have fixed only to end up throwing it out and having a carnation instant breakfast. I still have swallowing issues and it takes me longer to eat - but I have gotten a little quicker - about 45 minutes to eat tonite. I have experimented with so many foods this past year trying to find what works. I remember Thanksgiving last year I barely got 2 bites of food down and this year I had seconds - not much turkey but could eat most of the trimmings. Comparing your progress so far with mine this time last year, I would say we were at about the same spot. Please do not give up - keep trying new things every day -something will work. By the way, I had my PEG removed in Jan 2005. I lost weight until June '05 and since then have gained about 8 pounds - I go back for a 3-month check-up in 3 weeks and hopefully I have gained a couple more pounds. I still have a bowl of ice-cream just about every night for the extra calorie boost because most of what I can eat does not have a lot of calories - I eat a lot of fish, soft-cooked veggies, pasta (which has just recently started working) and eggs. I drink tons of water - I have to carry the water bottle from room to room just about.

Just wanted to let you know that I have walked in your shoes and things will improve. I know exactly what you are talking about when you describe the platform food lands on when you attempt to swallow and having to cough the food back up. I still deal with this but have learned to work with it somewhat - I imagine I still have a lot of learning and adapting to do. E-mail me if you need to.

Pam

SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV- 2/04 - 40 Rads 1/2 conventional, 1/2 IMRT; 3 chemo treatments consisting of Carboplatin/Taxol/5-FU; Right Radical Neck Dissection
7/04; scans and pathology clear