Nelie,

I would say that my sweet taste is my big hold-out. This far out of treatment and sweets still don't taste right which rules out all of those processed foods I don't need anyway. Most of the time sugar burns my mouth - the only exception I have found is some cakes and ice cream. I can't swallow the cake without the ice cream to push it down but this didn't happen till just a couple months ago - a good year post treatment. Sometimes the sweet taste is OK for a couple of bites and then goes south pretty quick. I try to stay upbeat about it because all I have to do is look back to last year and realize I have come a long way. I think you are doing a little better than I was at this point because I remember last year I had a family reunion to attend the last weekend of October. Well, the week before I was determined I would go and be able to eat something, so I pushed hard to get something down for a couple of days and woke up on Friday with the worst pain I ever experienced throughout the whole ordeal. I had over-extended the jaw muscles trying to eat and by that afternoon one side of my face was swollen so bad I couldn't even talk. Needless to say, I couldn't travel and missed the reunion. I started over slowly after that,so please be patient and don't overdo it like I did. I have a few questions for the teacher in you - would you mind if I e-mailed you? Good luck with the speech pathologist today.

Pam

SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV- 2/04 - 40 Rads 1/2 conventional, 1/2 IMRT; 3 chemo treatments consisting of Carboplatin/Taxol/5-FU; Right Radical Neck Dissection
7/04; scans and pathology clear