Nelie,
I have been following your posts and want to let you know that it does get better it just takes time. When I got the tube removed I didn't care what I had to do to get it removed I wanted it out. It had become like a thorn in my side and others commented on how I favored my left side and held my arm close and kinda really held my stomach. It hurt when I laughed and coughed.

I would drink the nutrients and try to eat reg foods. I would drink the ensure or walmarts equate (350 cal.) (and still am supplementing with them) to help keep up the calories so I wouldn't lose to much more weight. When I felt that I was ready I asked my ent to remove the peg. I lost an additional 10 pounds in 2 weeks after the removal and decided to drink more of the equate.

I have tried a variety of different soups and frankly have gotten tired of the soup deal!! I have put back on 4 pounds in the last 4 weeks. Everything you describe about your situation sounds so familier. I haven't had an actual swallowing test done. They just looked down my throat with a camera while I said "EEEE" and explained how parts of my throat was still swollen. And I do believe that swallowing to much solid food could aggravate the inside and make it more swollen so back to the easy soups!!

I have noticed that things are improving very slowly I can eat some meat in the soups but very little. The Turkey pot pie soup was actually the first soup that had the meat in it that I could eat.

I got so tired of people eating around me that I just couldn't take it any more so last Monday night my son wanted something from a fast food restaurant so I got a small cheeseburger and med sweet tea. I was so scared to eat it but wanted to give it a try. I took a small bite and a small swallow of tea and it went down! It was not very easy but i did it!!!

Eating to me is work and really wears me out!! So I do depend on the equate for the calories. It doesn't taste good but what does? My tongue burns at anything sweet except for the sweet tea. I am hoping and praying that things will get better. I still can barely get 2 fingers in my mouth!!!

WE just need to keep trying things and working at it. You have much more drive than I do so I know that you can do it!! It is a shame that everyone has to go through so much!!!!

Take care and you stay in my prayers you are an asset to this site!
Love Terry

Terry | 42 female| base of tongue w/swollen lymph nodes | Dx'd-Feb 05 | Stage IVA T2N2M0 | radiation/chemo 8 weeks finished 3rd week May/05 | bilateral neck dissection 9/2/05 45 nodes all neg.