We understand many insurance plans cover Thera-bite if it is prescribed. You can call Athos (go to web site) and the person there will tell you details -- that's what Barry did -- he's on Medicare and (according to he lady he spoke to) they get LOTS of Medicare people. They will send you a form which your ENT or oncologist fills out where they describe the "medical necessity" -- Barry's ENT wrote "patient is receiving radiation therapy for head and neck cancer; trismus is expected" and that was enough. Thera-bite billed Medicare.

Nelie -- our swallowing therapist gave Barry a series of exercises to strengthen his swallowing muscles, both his throat constrictors and his tongue -- since they are specifically directed at his case I am not sure they are appropriate for you, but the gal did say to do them 3x a day *in addition* to continuing to swallow stuff. He does notice a swallowing improvement in just two weeks, though I am sure some of that is because he has less inflammation. He can do some of the exercises more repetitions, as well. You might ask if there are any exercises (besides swallowing food) that might help. Barry's involve suction, pressing tongue against resistance, and some different swallowing manouvers.

Barry isn't ready for hamburgers yet but can now handle hot dogs. I am not sure if that is good or not<gr>!

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!