My advice... alittlescared... Go to where you know you'll get the BEST treatment. A facility that does ONLY CANCER will offer this. This is all they do day in and day out - (no regrets - )
I hear you on the lodge.
I get that it would be a hassle with the kids.
However, you will likely be tired and feeling unwell, being at the lodge will give you time to rest. You can go home on weekends and spend time with your family.
Do what will offer you the best chance of survival - so that you will be here for your kids when they get married and have children of their own. It's only 2 months of your life.
I know a lot of people say rads is rads, chemo is chemo. - anyone can do it. Chemo - yes - you can always go anywhere for that. Rads to me is different. They have a dr. actually designing the plan - it involves mathematics, location and knowledge on how best to hit the cancer and minimize overall damage. For this you want the best of the best. I know people say a good dr. is a good dr. and this is true but if they truly are tops in their field the best hospitals will hunt them down and hire them therefore I do believe the quality of the medical staff is different at a CCC.

Point in fact. My friend's mother in law was diagnosed at a local hospital (also a CCC) with stomach cancer. They were going to go in and remove most of her stomach and likely hit her with chemo etc.

I suggested a second opinion at a CCC in toronto that is the BEST hospital in the country and in the top 5 in the world. Got them a dr. they went for an appointment and were told. It's not really stomach cancer - its a tumor growing inside the muscle of the stomach. Much simpler surgery, way less invasive, and better outcome. She had the surgery and is doing amazing. Same with my father in law and his esophageal cancer. %15 survival rate. He's doing amazingly well. You CANNOT beat a top notch cancer center - they offer comprehensive treatment and do this kind of cancer all the time so they have seen it ALL.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan