A year ago at this time I just started my radiation. It was a very dark time for me. This forum kept me sane. I didn't post a lot, but I came here and was comforted by the kindness of everyone here posting to others. I knew I was in great company and great understanding here. My radiation journey was not as awful as others have experienced. I'm not saying it was easy and like everyone here I deal with the aftermath. However, I can't emphasize enough that a year has made an incredible difference. I'm back to my normal life and at full steam ahead.
One thing that helped me, I let myself grieve over my situation. I told my self for six weeks during the radiation I'm going to allow myself to be melancholy. I also told myself I need to laugh at times, and think of others needs. I had support here from a few people through private message and also supported others who needed encouragement through private message. That was an incredible help. Whatever method works for you...do it.
Best wishes to you, eat eat eat, juice and drink plenty of water!
Blessings --

Nancy (53 at dx)
Metastatic SCC. Stage III. HPV positive with occult primary. N1, no ecs
7/1/11 - L-Selective neck dissection. Tonsillectomy. All clean. No rad, no chemo.
5/29/13 - Found primary
7/3/13 - TORS
7/8/13 - Emergency Surgery/Blood vessel burst in throat
8/9/13 - Peg in
9/3/13 - Radiation starts 30 IMRT, 60gy BOT, 56gy both sides of neck
10/14/13 - Radiation ended!
11/12/13 - PEG out!