Hi there Christine explained it well. Ideally your should be treated at a CCC - this is where the drs. Have the most experience in dealing with this kind of cancer. Most drs who are experienced with oral tongue cancer remove a sample of nodes at the same time as the oral surgery. This is because they know there is a good chance that the cancer has already seeded to the nodes of the neck. Even a superficial cancer can do this - it depends on a lot of things - your own physiology, lifestyle, habits overall health And the aggressiveness the cancer. This type of cancer tends to be aggressive. At this point with two nodes involved I would want to go through with the surgery and then if your dr. tries to pat you on the head and say - your cured, I would suggest moving to a CCC if your not already at one. Ideally they will send you for rads and chemo. I had a fairly large tumor, but only one node involved - I had the full compliment of treatment and am grateful, smile
Btw this is a very common story we hear here about simple surgical removal and then later nodal involvement.

Re the neck dissection - you will have shoulder and arm weakness on the operative side. You will have to have physio to regain the strength - they normally cut a major muscle in your neck. It won't be pretty but it shouldn't be too painful (they cut the nerves too so you are essentially numb) from that point on there may be swelling on your face and neck in that area. Once you have a clean bill of health for a while lymphatic massage will help to rebuild those pathways that have been damaged by removal of the nodes (the swelling is lymph fluid build up)

Hopefully with two known nodes involved he will already have a radiation and medical oncologist appointment in the works for you. And hopefully he's removing more that 28 nodes.

You should educate yourself (knowledge is power) I know it's terrifying but once you get past that then it enables you to ask questions and know If your treatment veers from the norm. At which point you can have an educated conversation with your dr about why and what. smile

Hugs - I know it's nerve wracking

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan