The unknown is always scary. Try your very best to not worry so much about things you have no control over. Focus on staying busy and doing positive things.

Radiation is not easy for most of us. What Ive noticed over the years is the patients who focus on their intake are the ones who get thru it easier and have a faster recovery. That said its up to YOU! Every single day you need to hit the minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If you can push to take more in thats even better. Even 3500 calories is not too much for a patient going thru rads and recovery. Right now... EAT!!! Have all your favorites and even desserts, you do not want to go into this craving anything.

You probably will need some time off from your job. How much, nobody can say at this time. Most patients do ok managing their regular lives until about the 4 week point. Then there are others who have worked every single day thru the whole thing and other patients who have struggled from day 1. Just like everything else, cant predict who will sail right thru and who will struggle. Much will depend on how physical or even how much you need to concentrate on technical things for if you need to take off. I worked part time until I couldnt do it any longer then stayed home until I was 2 months post rads, back to work only part time for several months. Mine was a technical very detailed office job but took so much mental ability I was not thinking clearly enough to do. I also went back quicker than many do, most will be back to their regular schedules about 3 or 4 months post rads. After all this you can see why your questions are so hard to answer... everybody is different!

Do what is within your power. Assign every child things they can do to help you get thru this. They want to help and feel better about things when they are included in helping you. Make a list of every single person who has offered their assistance, get their contact info. Tell them when the time comes you will let them knwo what they can do to help. Even walking the dog, taking the kids out for a few hours to the movies, making dinner for the family, driving you to rads, or picking up meds from the pharmacy will help.

Radiation doctors must radiate a larger area to ensure all the individual stray cancer cells die. Dont worry about this! You have so many other things to focus on and this is another thing out of your control. At some point you will have to let your guard down and believe in your doctors and what they recommend. Take it day by day and dont worry about "what if" if you dont have to.

If it were me and I was going for surgery soon with so much anxiety, I would push back and go out to make some great memories with my family. Get outside and take a long family bike ride, go out to your favorite restaurant, even throw a party. Sounds nuts but its fun and will help everyone come together as a family.

Enjoy your weekend and please post when you can. Best wishes!!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma