alittlescared, I can see the anxiety and fear of the unknown ramping up and that's part of this journey as well. Maybe taking out the blank sheet of paper, writing down all the options, listing the +/- of each might help you organize your thoughts and make the best possible decision for you and your family. You seem to use that type of problem solving method and it would also allow you to calm the mind down some.

You have listed some great points in making perhaps one of the biggest decisions of your life. You are putting together your personal support team and it sounds like you have really out some thought into this aspect as well.

As far as facilities, my personal opinion is a teaching hospital is the best option, as more research is done and they tend to stay more current and aggressive in terms of treatment. However, I've seen people go many types of places with similar results.

I know a 72 year old lady with a terminal husband with many issues and she opted to go to the closest facility after her surgery because of her husband. Her surgery was done about 2 1/2 hours away and was selected for the reputation and skills of her surgeon. She is doing excellent. She had an ear removed, her ear drum and ear canal removed in one side, then the ear re-attached. Her radiation started 3 weeks after that.

You trust the medical team and that's also a plus, even though you will be passed off to a different group, there is some level of comfort in that, also.

I don't know the ages of your children but you would know what you want them to endure. That could weigh in to your decision. Either way will be tough on them just like it will be for you.

Be sure and step back from all this and breathe from time to time. There is nothing easy about any of this.

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021