My doctor said to me in my first consultation after the diagnosis, you need to understand your full time job now is beating this disease. For example juicing. Normally not something I would bother with, makes a big mess for a small amount of juice. But fresh juice is very beneficial, and he suggested doing that and considering the exercise to be part of my "job". Things like regimenting your sleep and exercise patterns, diarising your food, medication and toileting, there are plenty of things that are beneficial (not all essential) that can fill your day. I've been off work since the diagnosis in February, but not everyone is able to take that long off.

Kids (grandkids in my case) were an enormous tonic to me during treatment. They had to use Poppy's special soap (hand sanitiser) when they came to visit and they brought in my meds and their priceless cuddles. The other focal point was my dog, she knows when its late in the afternoon we go to the dog park and becomes increasingly insistent as the day drags on. Many many days she was the only reason I would get out of bed at all.

Every situation is different, but I would be cautious about the idea of "keeping busy". Mainly because if it all gets too much to handle it can depress you emotionally, even if you're not working. Depression and anxiety can interfere with healing quite a bit.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.