Silver sulfadine cream should only be used with a very thin amount. Sounds like you are using more than necessary.

I always liked beta-val cream better. Ask your doc for a prescription with refills or ask the nurse if they have any samples. Many times they will have Aquaphor lying around to hand out. Aquaphor is over the counter but a little expensive.

How to use the cream successfully..... Dab it on, never rub it into your skin then allow it to soak the rest of the way in. Depending on what time you do your rads should dictate when you put your cream on. For example if your rads apt is at 10am, I would suggest you shower then go to rads. After you finish, dab some cream on in the car prior to going home. If your rads are later in the day (say 2pm), lightly dab some cream on after the shower using only what will soak in prior to your appointment (maybe half your regular amount). After treatment, dab it on in the car before going home. Prior to going to bed put more cream on and allow it to soak in overnight.

Another tip, I would dab the cream on and place a small gauze pad over it so the cream didnt wipe off all over the bedsheets. The rad techs used the gauze pads also when my skin exentually broke open. They would place the gauze over the weeping sores so the mask didnt touch the wounds. My neck was a real mess that I was certain would scar and look horrible after rads. Somehow my neck healed and there were no visible scars at all.

Good luck Ambra!!! I have faith that you will get thru all of these things and put it behind you soon.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma