25 done, 5 treatments left! I am almost there.

I have a question here about Silvadene cream, more specifically it's removal. My neck burns have gotten pretty bad, I have to use Silvadene all the time. However, it tends to dry on the skin into this cake-y, flaky texture that is quite difficult to remove, and I have to remove it all before rads, obviously. Today got really bad, a very gentle scrubbing of the residue in the shower lead to a 10 min crying session while doing it, I felt like a little kid. The burnt skin was even bleeding a little. And my super gentle Aveeno shower gel burned like hell.

I have spoken to a very nice nurse about it after getting my rads, and she said to soak a very soft cloth into warm water and keep that on the skin for a while before attempting to remove the residue. Any other tips and tricks out there? I really do not want the whole episode to repeat tomorrow. The nice nurse also gave me some special wound cleanser to use on the burn, hopefully that will help too.

Last edited by Ambra; 12-02-2013 08:30 PM.

36, female, left tonsil HPV+ SCC, T2N1
8/28/13 SCC in left tonsil
9/12/13 surgery:TORS and selective neck dissection (levels II-IV), 23 nodes removed
9/18/13 post surgery biopsy: 2mm clear margins, a 7mm lymph node positive in level IV, no ECL
10/28/13 rad begins, 30 treatments, tomotherapy
12/09/13 radiation ends!
2/10/14 papillary thyroid cancer
2/26/14 PET shows clear neck other than thyroid cancer, but with high uptake in an ovarian cyst
2/27/14 thyroidectomy
3/5/14 pelvic ultrasound