I was already very grateful to find these forums on my first days here, and after reading all the thoughtful responses this morning, I am more grateful than ever. You guys are truly amazing.

About my friends possibly not knowing what to do, that is not exactly true. We have an email list of the 10 or so closest local friends to which I occasionally send important updates. So, I literally spelled out what I need, in a non-demanding manner of course. When rad started a month ago I sent out an email in which i said, among other unrelated things, that they do not have to know what to say and do, all I need is somebody who will listen. Moreover, I specified that I would love and need occasional company, as it is very easy to fall into depression when in this situation. Also, I sent out a new email last week when I stopped working, and said that if they would like to visit, I am home at such and such time after treatment ends, (which happens to conveniently be after 7 pm in the evening when work is done). I think that this is all really clear.

I will not be able to spoil myself by getting something expensive, as I am very broke with all the medical expenses. And do not have that much energy to go into crowds, especially since I occasionally get pretty strong dizziness spells, probably from the meds. But I might go to my favorite book store and spend an afternoon there. I got a flue shot last month, and frequently use hand sanitizer/wash my hands, so hopefully I should be OK.

Christine, feel free to ask. I am originally from Serbia, which used to be Yugoslavia when I was born, before all the hell broke loose. Lots of bad stuff happened, many wars etc., so I have been through some very difficult times before in my life, though of completely different nature.

Maria, you are very sweet. I will have a Thanksgiving meal delivered by a meal delivery service, and I will Skype with my family back at home. There might be some phone-calls from close out-of-town friends too, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited by Ambra; 11-25-2013 09:07 AM.

36, female, left tonsil HPV+ SCC, T2N1
8/28/13 SCC in left tonsil
9/12/13 surgery:TORS and selective neck dissection (levels II-IV), 23 nodes removed
9/18/13 post surgery biopsy: 2mm clear margins, a 7mm lymph node positive in level IV, no ECL
10/28/13 rad begins, 30 treatments, tomotherapy
12/09/13 radiation ends!
2/10/14 papillary thyroid cancer
2/26/14 PET shows clear neck other than thyroid cancer, but with high uptake in an ovarian cyst
2/27/14 thyroidectomy
3/5/14 pelvic ultrasound