So there are a ton of really obvious changes. First, they took out all the patented and trademarked LP3 Salivary Enzyme System chemistry. These are the every expensive enzymes that served an important function in your mouth, the three most important were Lactoperioxidase, Lactoferrin, and lysozyme. Because of the cost of these, the paste had to retail at a much higher price then the competition. The also replaced the stannous fluid with sodium fluoride. The are significant difference in these two products, and of course costs as well. They have added some kind of foaming agent to the paste which was not there before, and while may people have their suspicions what this, is until we get the chemistry back from someone who is running this through an independent laboratory to see what on the "inactive ingredient list" which has pretty much been eliminated, I don't know what it is. But anyone who is familiar with the old product, knows that it didn't foam up much in your mouth. This stuff today is like expanding foam that you use to seal your air leaks around your windows!! The primary sweetening agent in the old product was xylitol which is actually cario-static, helping to prevent the formation of decay and way more expensive than other artificial sweeteners -and now we have sugar, alcohol, sucralose, and saccharin. None of which are good for you.

There is more, but two people who I respect have eluded to more inactive ingredients that are actually harmful, and as soon as I can verify that I will list what they are. Bottom line, except for some glycerin which is cheap ( and water soluble so it does not stay in your mouth) there is little in here that is really going to help your dry mouth, and as I stated previously, the composition of this new formula is not that much different that the cheap toothpastes on the market. So I stand by my opinion that this is a lesser product in many ways, and they are still selling it at the really high price of the original product with all the expensive components in it. They think no one will read the label perhaps. Their other products appear unchanged at this time. But certainly when their inventory level changes, we will have to consider what they replace those with. GSK is a multi billion dollar company that has done some really good things, like come out with an HPV vaccine, but in consumer healthcare they have a completely different operating philosophy apparently. They have huge market share, and I doubt that a little non-profit like OCF is going to turn away all the people that see their millions of dollars worth of TV commercials and ads. But for those in the know that we can reach, we want them not to find false hope in an inferior product to the high quality paste that they put out for many years. The new formula is certainly not worth what you are paying for it.

Someone please correctly me if I am wrong, but on the old tube I never recall seeing a warning that said "if you ingested more than the amount that you would normally put on a toothbrush, you should get medical help and call poison a control center immediately". I don't have an old tube to refer to.

Also on the completely independent Amazon.com customer comments board you can see that up until mid 2013 the reviews were stellar. After that point in time the most recent reviews are all complaints about the change.

http://www.amazon.com/Biotene-Mouth...ints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Last edited by Brian Hill; 10-23-2013 09:35 PM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.