Since I'm one of the OCF walk organizers, we received an email last week from OCF about this. In some follow-up questions someone asked when the change was made and the response was within the past 2 months.

From what I can recall, the Biotene toothpaste I have was bought in June (local drug store), so I'm assuming it is OK. smile I recall that I first tried to order it on-line from Amazon and there was a message to the effect that due to quality issues the item wasn't available at this time (which leads me to believe the change happened more than 2 months ago).

I have the "gentle mint gel" which has Sodium Monofluorophosphate (0.14% w/v fluoride ion) as it only active ingredient. Inactive ingredients include sorbitol, glycerin, water, silica, xylitol, hydrated silica ... ending with "Contains mild and egg derivatives." Sounds yummy! eek

This matches the ingredients on the "gentle mint gel" I found in the same local drug store today.

They also had the "fresh mint original" flavor which had Sodium Fluoride (0.15% w/v fluoride ion) as its only active ingredient. The inactive ingredients were different and less of them.

I didn't expect the two flavors to have such different ingredients, so perhaps one is the "old" version and one is the "new"? If the formula was only changed 2 months ago, it could be that the store still has some "old" version in stock.

I used to buy the PBF version of both the mouthwash and toothpaste, but haven't been able to find that lately so I bought the non-PBF version.

I shared this information with a number of local OC survivors who used Biotene for years (and also have a supply at home). In Brian's post he indicated he would follow-up with more details on the ingredients and the changes. Since I'm not a chemist, a detailed list of ingredients isn't necessary, I'm just looking for an easy way to tell the "good" from the "bad" and perhaps find some of the "good" still in a local store. smile

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)