Hi Wendy,

I am so sorry for your pain as a caregiver. I have been helping my father with his cancer for several years and I know how difficult it can be to see your loved one in so much distress. Make sure you get rest and nutrition and take up any offers to help, as others have said. That is the best thing that you can do for your husband...take care of yourself. I think the most difficult thing about being a caregiver is being that pillar of strength for the patient so that the patient can focus on himself instead of worrying about the impact he is having on his loved one. Just know that you are not alone, you are in our thoughts and prayers...I have found this community to be an incredible source of support (I only joined this week, but have been coming to this site for years). And one more thing...for me, the key is to never give up...I think everyone deals with this differently, but the only time I feel truly depressed is when I feel like everyone around me is giving up on my father. My father is a fighter and it sounds like your husband is to. As long as they have that fighting spirit, then we won't give up either and that little bit of hope lives on. Keep your focus on that light...that glimmer of hope. I read a very good quote, I think on this site, that I say to myself everyday now...don't borrow sorrow from tomorrow. There is a time to give up, but today is NOT that day. Today, your husband lives and fights the good fight. Today, the battle continues...and we will be there with them, giving them strength to continue on. Take care, Ang

Ang - Father first Dx Jan 05 SCC floor of mouth, stage 1 surg/rad treatment; recur May08 near jaw bone surg/rad again; recur Oct10 in jaw bone, partial bone removal no rad; recur Oct 2012, surg. to remove but some left in neck and waiting for treatment recommendation - he is a warrior!!!