John, most of us would not normally need so many calories during an average day. But right now your body is burning up calories faster than you can take them in. I know 2500 calories sounds like alot but it is not, it is the daily minimum you will need to get thru this. Even better would be to take in 3500 calories daily. Your body must have enough calories to fight not just the cancer but also the effects of treatment. I cant stress this point enough! I had no caregiver and I struggled thru the whole thing. I lost 65 pounds and ended up being hospitalized a few times for malnutrition and dehydration. I am trying to help you to avoid these mistakes. You do not want to get stuck in the hospital!!!!

I lost 65 pounds in 6 weeks and it never went back on even when I finished and would take in 6000+ calories daily. I would make huge chocolate peanut butter milkshakes which were 2000+ calories each, I would drink 2 or 3 a day. Here is a list of easy to eat foods which should help you to take more things in. Try canned peaches, they will slide right down. Let me know if you want my recipe for the chocolate, peanut butter milkshakes.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy